My babies and me

My babies and me

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Helpful Hands

So earlier this week, my dad sent me a text message and said Grandma and Grandpa were going to be in town and wondered if we'd need some baby holders.  I told him we'd be around all weekend so we'd love for them to come by and hold the babies while they were visiting.  Well, unbeknownst to me, he assumed I understood that it was MY grandparents and that they were going to be staying with us.  I have 2 two month old's- I don't need house guests right now.  Well the plan was already in motion for them to come in that night on a late flight so of course we pretty much had to say yes to them staying with us, but my brother would pick them up at the airport.  

I have to say I had a bad attitude about the whole thing.  It seemed very selfish of my grandparents to just want to come hold my babies to scratch their baby itch.  My kids are just getting into somewhat of a routine and for them to come would just blow it was off track.  That's how I perceived it anyway.  

I am kind of a control freak.  I like things done a certain way and right now routine keeps everything simple so the fact that I'd be having house guests that I wasn't prepared for was really stressing me out.  And I made it pretty clear the first day they were here how unhappy I was about the whole visit.  I even went so far as to text my brother and tell him he had to come pick up my grandparents and do something with them so they would be out of my house and I could keep my kids on track.  Not one of my better moments but when you're a new mother to twins, you'll do or say just about anything to keep things in working order.  He obliged but was not too happy with me for insisting he intervene.  So naturally I felt guilty about my attitude and generally my mood over the whole thing.  Here are my 80-something year old grandparents who just want to show their love to me by loving on my kids and "helping out" by being around to hold them.  

So what's my deal?  Maybe I'm still hormonal, but the thought of getting off track really scared me because we'd been having a relatively good week with the kids.  I finally resigned myself to granting my grandparents their wish of just loving on these babies.  It wasn't easy, but I figured we can get back on track in a couple of days.  My grandparents aren't going to be around forever and I want them to have some memories with me and my kids.  I want to have some memories for me and kids.  

I discovered just how grateful I actually am for their visit.  So many people say they'll come help when the babies are here but then never actually follow through.  Not my grandparents.  They made it a point to travel to my hometown.  They really did end up helping us when we needed it.  So I'm thankful today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment